I left the house this morning at 5:20 and I got home tonight at 11. During the day I came home for a half an hour at lunch. I saw Heidi, my wife, for a few hours this morning at work, and at lunch. I didn’t see my sons at all.
I’m not happy about how today went down for several reasons, with the main one being what was supposed to be a family night at home did not happen.
My work-related reason for not being home tonight was valid, and for privacy won’t get in to the details, but I still don’t like that I missed dinner, doing homework, and relaxing with my family tonight. Tonight was one of two nights at home this week, and I was really looking forward to our time together as a family.
While themes of boundaries, priorities, and saying no are running through my head I have also had some realizations and reminders as I reflect on my day.
1. I have to trust that since this is not a normal occurrence that my sons will not be scarred for life because I missed dinner and an evening at home.
2. I love my family and spending time with them is one of the most important things to me.
3. In the midst of busyness, family time is important.
- I am thankful for Heidi and her presence and role in my life and the boy’s lives.
- While my “calling” might lead me to spend time helping other people, the most important time I can spend is with my family.